Tattoo Aftercare Instructions
How Do I Take Care Of My New Tattoo?!
So you just got that new badass tattoo and have to take care of it. Following the steps listed below will allow your tattoo to heal beautifully and vibrant. Nobody wants to spend hundreds of dollars to ultimately be left with a gigantic scab or scar!
- After leaving the tattoo shop, please keep your tattoo wrapped for 2-3 hours.
- Wash your hands with warm soap and water.
- Gently remove the bandage that was applied by your tattoo artist. This is typically plastic wrap or a medical bandage of some sort.
- Thoroughly wash the entire area of your tattoo and the skin around it. At this point, there should be no more plasma, blood or residual tattoo ink left on the skin.
- Allow your tattoo to air dry for 25 minutes. This is one of the most important steps of the tattoo aftercare process!
- When your tattoo is dry to the touch, begin applying a very thin layer of Aftercare Lotion to the new tattoo. Slowly working the lotion into the tattoo and allowing it to remain moisturized. A small amount of Lotion goes a long ways so please do not glob it on!
- Do not wrap your tattoo again after removing the original bandage. Your skin MUST be able to breathe in order for your tattoo to heal correctly!
- Continue to wash, air dry and apply aftercare lotion THREE TIMES A DAY for ONE WEEK! This will keep your new tattoo from drying out and getting crusty. When your tattoo scabs up, the ink will fall off with the scab and damage your tattoo. We don’t want that!
Things to definitely avoid while your tattoo is healing:
- Vaseline or A&D Ointment (It’s Horrible for Healing Tattoos)
- Sun Exposure
- Pet Danger / Hair
- Extra Stress in General
At the end of the day, its all about keeping your fresh ink looking great over time. Keep it clean and follow the steps listed above and your tattoo should heal bright and beautiful!
We carry a huge variety of tattoo aftercare and numbing products. If you have any questions at all, feel free to stop by our shop or give us a call!
Northeast Tattoo & Supply
3619 Saint John Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64123